Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Belgium School System

The Belgian School system isn't always my friend... I was thinking this today. First off, I am taking a couple of classes that I have already taken and passed with plying colors here. Also known as basic algebra and chemistry... Now the math, I don't mind because it is so easy that I understand it even in French. But Chemistry.... not so much. I had it again today, and at least I didn't have to worry about understanding the teacher. Because all I did was put my name on the test, leave it blank, and stare out the window for the rest of the class. So yes, I am not so proud to say that I have failed the first of (hopefully not, but probably until I improve my French more..) many tests here. It felt so horrible, not even being able to put anything down, but I didn't understand the instructions on the test, much less how to do what the teacher wanted me to do for the test (even though I have taken Chemistry, the teacher is teaching the class this weird chart thing that I have never seen in my life, much less know the function for...). I have alwas been a pretty good student, and leaving the test blank killed me. Because at home, I would at least make an educated guess on as many problems as I can. But here, I didn't even know where to begin much less what exactly it was that I would be guessing. And it's not like I could turn to my friend next to me and ask her to help me out... So yes, boring and wasted period. And I couldn't bring out my notebook and practice French, because we had to have our desks cleared. I am really thinking about asking the counselor to change out of these classes, at least for now. Because I really feel like my time could be better spent in a French class with smaller kids, considering I only have one of those now that I had my schedule changed around.

Ohter than Chemistry all I had today was English. Some learning for me, but not much considering we did a listening activity and then a worksheet that was all in English, without much of a chance for me to learn French. Oh, and Constance forgot the binder she said she would bring. I honestly think the most productive thing I did in school today was correct the English teacher when she made a small mistake with her sentence structure or the pronunciation of a word. And that hardly ever happens anyhow, it is mostly just differences between the American way of speaking and the British way of speaking.

And now for the second way that I have realized the Belgian school system is slightly ripping me off.. So on Wednesdays, I am all excited because I have a half day. But, when I really think about it, we don't even get out of school until like 12:30 or sometime around there, and I timed myself coming home today and after the 15 minute walk to the bus stop, waiting for the bus, the 15 minute bus ride, and the 12 minute walk (it's almost a mile uphill the whole way to my house... :/ ), I didn't even get home until 1:45ish. So really, I am just getting home close to the same time that I would at home! I mean, forgetting the whole time change and all. Students are celebrating going to their 5th and final class of the day just as I get home. Quite frankly, I am not liking the school system here much. It is just confusing with long days and no one around to really even keep track of you... But then again, it is hard to keep track of students when there are like a total of maybe 30 computers in the whole school. Of course, all of the office people have a computer, but other than that I have only seen 2 teachers have a computer (one which I think was the teacher's personal laptop brought from home...) and one small classroom with about 20 computers in it. Belgian schools need to get updated and come into the technology generation! Oh, and they still have chalkboards and hardly anyone has a calculator. Feel like I'm really roughin' it, just like my parents back in the day.. ;)

After school was... well I was alone with only a little bit of English homework (the only class other than Chemistry, art, and PE that I am expected to do something in...), so it was kinda boring. For dinner, we had pike, which Eddy is actually going to catch in Sweden for all week next week, with this Indian sauce and pomme de terres (potatoes...). The pike was ok, and pretty much as fresh as you can get considering that this was fish that Eddy caught last year,  but I think I am discovering that I am not the biggest fish lover in the world. Or maybe it's just the Belgian way of preparing meats, but I just found it a bit plain for my taste. But, if I put lots of the Indian sauce (which is actually a secret Indian family recipe that was given to Pascale's mother who was the teacher of one of their sons. They appreciated her work so much that they gave her the recipe as long as she promised to keep it among the women in her family...) on it, it was fine. And of course, I had the mix of mayonnaise and ketchup that I have become obsessed with here in Belgium with my potatoes. And now, Pascale and Eddy are watching TV (but without noise???) and I am just updating the blog...

Oh and one last thing I forgot to mention yesterday... Along with the other errands we ran, we went to this farm and got some fresh milk. Apparently, if you know the person or whatever you can go there whenever you want, leave some money, and take some fresh milk. I think this is an excellent deal, because we get a TON of fresh milk for only 1,50 euro. And after boiling the milk and taking away the cream, I got to taste the delcious milk today and it was pretty darn good. And it tasted so fresh, it was wonderful (In Europe, it is hard to find milk that isn't warm and tastes fake...). Et maintenant, je suis fini avec ce blog! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment