Friday, August 26, 2011

Vacation in France, Anyone? :)

Sunday, August 14th, 2011

End of the 2nd night of vacation. After Eddy and Pascale returned from the hospital, we ate another lunch of plain sandwiches.  I am really missing my Subway sandwiches, with like a million options to choose from, or paninis! But oh well, that is why I am here, to experience a brand new culture! After lunch, we were finally able to do something. Because of Eddy’s brand new stitches, we couldn’t go to the market or the fish store because both were closed by the time they were done (mainly due to the fact that it is Sunday, a very holy day!) So instead, we hopped into the car and drove around for quite some time. After traveling in the car all day yesterday, I wasn’t exactly thrilled to be doing that. But it ended up being fun, and I got to see some amazing sights. Southern France is absolutely beautiful. It actually reminds me quite a bit of Mexico, especially Cozumel. The houses are around the same line and the weather is the same. There are also a million of natives zooming around on little bikes, just like Mexico. But instead, everyone speaks French, they are on the Mediterranean Sea, and there is more of a European influence to the whole thing. Also, there are hardly any tourists that aren’t French. In fact, I have yet to hear one person that is not speaking French (myself not included!)




Southern France is beautiful... It's like a completly different country when compared to the north!

During the car ride, Eddy randomly stopped alongside the road. I thought they just wanted to take a break for the dog and give him a chance to relieve himself, but it turns out that they had stopped because they had found a wild tree that grows this delicious fruit… which I definitely do not remember the name of. It looked a bit like pomegranate, except it was smaller, you could eat part of the inside other than the seeds, and it didn’t taste quite the same. But all in all, it was delicious. Thinking back on it, it could have possibly even been pomegranate or some near relative of it because Eddy had mentioned how it was very early in the season, and that is why the fruit was sooo small and not very juicy.  ***Just a side note, I have figured out that the mystery fruit are figs!***

I LOVE FIGS!


Fig Trees... My New Favorite Kind of Tree!
After the car ride, we came back home and I took yet another nap. I seriously do not seem to be getting over this whole jet lag thing. I have NO idea what I am going to do once I start school and actually have something that I have to do. I am going to be exhausted! After my short nap, Eddy took me on a walk through the woods. It is really weird because right along the coast, there is this gigantic forest. So we walked along the paths there, meant for fireman because the land is so dry and there is a high chance of fires. Eddy showed me all of the flora native to Southern France, which quite frankly isn’t much because the land is so dry and there is not a wide variety of things growing. It was still nice to be able to walk around though, and the view at the top of one of the hills was absolutely amazing. I had a 360 view of the land in which I could see the two main cities, Martigues and Marseille, the nearby lake, the canal, and the Mediterranean Sea. It was gorgeous! Too bad I didn’t bring my camera on the walk… L
 For dinner, Eddy had invited over a friend of his that lives on a sailboat not any bigger than the one we are on for 365 days a year. Apparently, he really loves sailing. Eddy explained to me that he was a crew member of one of the first people to sail around the world. Can’t remember this guy’s name, but he is now dead. But Allen, our guest, was very kind and funny, though it was hard because he didn’t really speak any English so Eddy was a translator.  I don’t know if I am ever going to get this whole language thing down! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Hopefully it will be easier when I start taking language classes. Well, good night and hopes to a even better tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment