Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Je ne sais pas...

Monday, August 22nd, 2011

Today started out early for Eddy, who once again left to go fishing at 4 in the morning. Me, being the light sleeper that I am, woke up as he was getting ready but luckily in Belgium I have become quite the expert at sleeping in weird, unfamiliar, loud, or bright places. Look at me, adapting to the culture so much ;) and of course, everyone who knows me knows how much of a mornign perosn I am, so I was very happy when I was almost immediately able to go back to sleep. Vacations do that do you... They just make you want to sleep all of the time! So, after I woke up at a respectable time, we had some breakfast and relaxed for a bit. Being with Becky on vacation was really nice, because she is a lot like me and enjoys just sitting and relaxing and reading a good book. (There I go again switching back and forth between current and past tenses... Sorry for that, writing a blog update a week after it actually happened ain't easy!)

So, after lunch we had planned for just us girls to finally go and see the little town were the nativity scenes with some French additions are made. I was quite excited by this fact, especially since Eddy had been talking about it all vacation and I had gotten to see a little shop in Marseille where they are sold, and I had kinda decided that I had wanted to buy some little people to bring back home as gifts. Once I got into the car, I was tired so I feel asleep almost right away knowing that it was an hour car ride. Thank goodness I had vacation to be able to get over all of my jet lag! But then, once I woke up, I found myself in Marseille heading towards the Notre Dame de la Garde. I was slightly confused by this detour, but thought Pascale was just stopping to left Becky see the sights. But then, once we actually stopped, Becky explained to me that while I was sleeping that Eddy had called saying that he'd had a successful fishing day and ended early, which meant that he needed a car to bring the boat in. So apparently, we couldn't go and see the little nativity scenes after all and instead stopped in Marseille just so the trip wasn't a complete bust. The weird thing is, that after Becky told me that I kind of actually remembered the whole conversation thing happening. But not really... My state of sleeping is never really a normal one. I swear I need twice as much sleep as everyone else because we I sleep, I am not truely 100% asleep. If that makes any sense... But anyhow, Becky was able to see the sights and I was actually able to kinda go inside a bit unlike the other day so it was nice. and, on the plus side, Pascale took us back to the delicious homemade ice cream place and I was able to get the same delicious yogurt swirled with berries and a scoop of my new favorite, pistachio ice cream! YUMMY!

After our quick little repeat adventure, we went back to help out Eddy with his big catch of the day. There were soooo many fish, even more than the other day, but today I stayed with Becky and watched Eddy gut the fish. It was nasty! But then again, I am not one to like blood or guts or anything gory. So ya... But I did build up the confidence to try gutting one myself! It was WAY harder than Eddy made it look. Fisrt, you have to cut off the head and all of the bodily organs from that. Then you have to actually seperate the filet from the spine and that was the hard part. If you cut too close, there were too many bones. If you cut too far away, you were wasting quality fish. Once you cut down the spine you just continued out until you reached the tail and finished the cut. I know it doesn't sound that hard, but it was. And when Eddy did it, he made it seem like 5 easy cuts. But it took Becky and I at least 20 minutes to gut one, and they weren't nearly as nice. Once we finished up gutting the fish Becky and I went for a quick walk looking for fig trees along the road, didn't find any so we came back, and then it was time for dinner (which a week later, I do not remember what we had...).


Woohoo Marseille!
Artistaclly shot through the trees...
Pascale and I... Excuse the awkward arm!




No comments:

Post a Comment