Monday, August 29, 2011

Adventures in Martigues

Thursday, August 18th, 2011

Ok, I lied. Today was definitely the best day. As planned, Eddy and Pascale woke up at the bright and early time of 4 AM. Of course, me being the night owl I am, I chose to opt out of the fishing exploration.  I felt genuinely sorry, because Eddy had seemed quite excited to share with me his love of fishing, but they DID leave the choice up to me, and do to the fact that I have constantly felt like sleeping even after a good night’s rest, I think he understood.
So after dinking around (wow, I didn’t know that dinking was actually a real word…) , having some breakfast and reading, I set off on a walk. Once I heard that Eddy and Pascale would be fishing for the majority of the day, I just knew that I had to make some kind of plans for myself! So in my head I madfe the promise to myself that I would look at the route to Martigues next time we drove by and walk there myself today. So after we drove through the town the other night to be able to look at Martigues and its beautiful lights, I memorized the path to down. Although I have always had a knack for directions, this was not hard because you simply followed the road straight along the canal until you got to the bridge! So after lathering myself in lots of sun screen, I embarked on my mini adventure.
Getting there took me a LOT less time than I thought. Walking fast, I got there in about 20 minutes and was able to wander around town for the whole afternoon. It was absolutely beautiful, and I loved looking around all of the little shops and what they were selling.  I found all of the beautiful spots that Eddy had showed me the other day by car, such as the little canal that is absolutely breathtaking and gives Martigues the name of Little Venice. I took so many pictures today that I have to download them onto my computer now, and was also able to find a little gift shop where I bought some postcards to send to people back home. Although I have nobody’s addresses and will not be able to send them once I get back home with Internet access, it really is the thought that counts! J

I was in France!

Little Venice

My attempts at being artistic.

Martigues


I love all of the adorable alleyways they have in Europe.
Another one of my little discoveries was this beautiful Catholic Church right across from the Little Venice canal. It’s so beautiful, and yet most people walk right past it because they are so taken by the more noticeable beauty of the canal. Just like every Catholic Church, it was open. I loved going inside, and it was nice to just sit there and be able to pray a little bit, especially I haven’t gone to church since I have been here (ok, I missed one weekend and sometimes at home we are just so busy that I don’t even go for like a month, but I really feel that I could have used it, even if it was in French…) Being an exchange student has already turned out to be a whole different experience than I thought, and I am glad that I have my faith to help me along the way. After the church and walking around for so long, it was time for me to get back home so I could be there when Eddy and Pascale got back.! So anyhow, I got back, ate lunch, drank lots of cool water (although it was on my mental packing list, I forgot to bring some on my journey…), and finished my third and final book. Eddy and Pascale had noticed how fast I was going through my books, and now they are taking me to get more where I am SURE that they won’t let me pay… Ugh. It just makes me feel bad that I haven’t really paid for anything when I am given the money to do so. But for the time being, Eddy and Pascale went back to the fish market and I am waiting here, writing my blog. I don’t know whether tonight we will go and have all you can eat clams, or enjoy a dinner here but whatever it is I sure it will be great.
Beautiful Church

The Interior

The Side View

No comments:

Post a Comment