Friday, August 12, 2011

Day 4

Not too many exciting things today... I think they were just trying to give me a day to rest before I leave for SOUTHERN FRANCE tommorrow!!! :) Ahh, I cannot wait to go on vacation with my host parents. And I think it is coming at just the right time. Before I even have time to miss home too much, I get swept away on a wonderful vacation. This morning, I woke up kinda late, even after my loooonnnng nap yesterday. Hopefully I get used to this stupid time difference soon! Then, Cecile and I went out and picked up lunch at a little sandwich shop, picked up Pascale on what I am assuming was her lunch break, went to the phone store to get Cecile's phone to work in the U.S. (I think? It is still kinda hard to understand...), and dropped Pascale back off at work. By the time we had done all of that, it was time to go back home and eat lunch! Ahh I need to stop wasting my mornings with so much sleep...

The sandwiches were definitely signature European sandwiches! They were quite plain, mine with just chicken, carrots (I know, kinda weird, right?) and mayo. The best part was that the sandwich was on half of a HUGE baguette. It really made me think of my sister, Maddie, who is obsessed with bread and how much she would love all of the boulangeries (bakeries) in Belgique! Of course, I couldn't eat it all. Belgians, they definitely know how to eat, because they eat a LOT all of the time. I just eat until I am mostly full, then stop. I think they understand, but they probably think I am crazy at how "little" I eat. And it's not just my family, it's EVERYONE! But all of the food is so good, so I can understand why they eat. What  Idon't understand is how the majority of them manage to stay so darn skinny...

After lunch, we took a rest and then Cecile had to go and help a friend with some type of emergency.  Ididn't mind, because after all she will leaving for Wyoming soon and she needs time to say goodbye and be with all of her friends. But rather than just stay in the house and be lazy,  I went outside for a quick walk around my street. It just seems like every single part of Belgium is beautiful! Almost all of the houses are made out of beautiful old brick., In fact, it seems that almost every single building in Belgium is made of brick. It is pretty, but what I don't understand is where all of this brick came from! Because there is a lot... Some of the people that saw me or drove past me must of thought i was crazy, wlaking around in the rain taking pictures of some people's houses (I tried to take pictures where it looked like no one was home...) I wish that I could just explain to them that I am a crazy American who lives in Seattle, where there is rain 350 days of the year.



Ma Maison (my house!)

There are beautiful vines on like every building...


Brick, brick, brick, brick!

They have rhodies, just like at home!


The cute little mailboxes that most houses have:)
 Well, that is all for now. I am going to eat dinner soon, get packed up for my vacation, and then it is off to bed!

1 comment:

  1. OMG, I totally understand the eating thing! My family keeps asking if I've had enough. YES, I'm sure I've had enough, my stomach is full. Asking again will not make me hungrier. It's amazing how much they eat. And maybe they stay skinny by biking so much?

    ReplyDelete