Sunday, October 2, 2011

So I guess I didn't remember...

Wednesday, September 28th, 2011

Another half day. Well, for this day just another day where I only have 2 classes.. Yep, I am just lucky like that. The first period I had etude, and since Pascale has been staying home the whole week to avoid getting migraines (or something like that... I know it has something to do with her sinuses being messed up..), she could drive me in an hour late today! So that means I got to sleep in an hour late, and that made me very happy. Then I had chemistry, which I actually tried REALLY hard to understand and take super good notes today... And it was still pretty darn confusing. So I guess here, the schedules all change around after a month anyhow (don't know why they would do that to me when I am just barely used to my classes now...), so I may see about changing out of chemistry and going into a French class with the younger kids because I have already taken and passed chemistry at home, so I really feel that taking a French class would be more useful in the end!

So after trying very hard in Chemistry and still not exactly getting it, I was happy to have another etude. And then after the etude, I had English. For me, another pointless and pretty boring class considering I can already speak fluently and the students here already speak such good English that hardly any French is used to explain things... But sometimes, there will be those random days where there is a really useful lesson for me and I get to learn French. But today was not one of those days...

So when the class ended and the teacher said that if I wanted to I could leave (I had another English class after, but with the 4th class..) I jumped at the chance. So I took the train to Liege where I thought I was meeting up with a bunch of the other exchange students. Turns out that most of them actually went to Brussels in order to make it easier for the students in the Dutch speaking part to get there and meet everyone too. So there were less than 10 people there and we kind of all split up and did our own thing. But that part comes later...

So anyhow, I got into Liege at the main train station there, and saw that the next train that took me to the center of Liege where I was to meet up with my friends wasn't until another 18 minutes because it had gotten delayed. Because I didn't really want to just sit there and wait and because it was such a nice day out (Belgium has been blessed with nice weather for the past week or so...) I decided that I would walk to the center because now I knew the way after walking it with Lauren yesterday. But it turns out that my memory of Liege wasn't as good as I thought it was... After walking for about 25 minutes and realizing that I was defnitely not where I was supposed to be, I just decided to turn around and walk back to the train station and the sure way of meeting up with my friends. So all in all, I just took a nice little hour long detour where I was extremely stressed out and dying of heat exhaustion. As you can imagine, I was very happy when I returned to the station, hopped onto a train, and it took off right away. I mean, at least I didn't have to wait another 18 minutes for a train... By the time I finally got to the center of Liege, I was sooo happy. And my friends that were there wanted to get some presents for people back home, so I ended up going shopping again... But it was ok, because we went into different shops and well, what normal girl doesn't love to shop (especially in Europe...) ??? Needless to say, it was a pretty good day considering I got out of school early and had fun looking at different shops with my friends. And, well, I definitely learned that I actually in fact did NOT remember how to walk to Liege Guiellmens to the center of Liege. Getting lost is just part of an exchange student's life. If you don't get lost several times, then there is no way that you are actually experiencing everything and discovering random areas that you never would have found if you hadn't gotten lost... So even though I definitely didn't like getting lost, at least I had a little adventure to write about! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment