Monday, October 17, 2011

IT'S A PANDA!

Thursday, October 6th, 2011

Ok, well just gonna start off on the fact that this is about to be a super sort post, because school is boring and I can't even remember that 2 weeks back. I do, however, remember my wonderful French courses that I went to on this day. Seriously, these French courses are the absolute best thing ever. I mean, I get to be with other exchange students having fun, but learning French from a legit teacher at the same time. And, Rotary pays for me to be in these courses, it's a win-win-WIN situation.

And now to explain the title of this lovely blog post... So as I already mentioned, but I will revisit as to remind those who's memory is fading, didn't take the time to read any of my long posts, or just didn't notice the small little detail stuck in with rest of the post, my course is made up of people who speak French really well, those who understand but can't really speak, and those who have a hard time just understanding. So anyhow, today we were just doing an exercise where we picked out a French adjective and had to describe it (in French, of course!) so the others could guess what it was. I don't remember the exact word, but we were just going along with the game and someone guessed it correctly. Everyone else knew the word, but then this one girl who is more at the point of having a difficulty understanding, was all like what the heck is that? The teacher spells the word out for her, and it's the exact same as an English word, just different spelling. And she blurts out, "Oh, like panda!". So now, whenever a word is the same in English and French (Ex: bizzare, stresse, zebre, hotel, train...), someone always shouts out "It's a panda!". And this is a good thing, because there is generally at least one person who doesn't catch on to the different pronunciation in French.

Whenever one faces a panda and doesn't understand the pronunciation, well, they have the right to feel just plain stupid. And let me tell you, as an exchange student living in a different country, this opportunity presents itself many, many, MANY times during your exchange.

So I realize that this might be a bit confusing for some, or it might just be a "You had to be there" moment where it's basically only me that thinks this is funny and worth writing about, but well, I'm sorry because it all makes sense and is very funny in my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment