Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Gotta Love Being American

Friday, September 30th, 2011

The final day of September. The final day of the second month that I have been in Belgium. Time just flies by when you are having fun! So anyhow... This Friday made me realize how appericiative I am of being American and having Tedde (girl from Iowa) in my school. The only classes that Tedde and I have together are gym and math. And Friday, we have a double PE period and math so we actually get to see quite a bit of each other! It's nice. As usual, the ridiculous-ness of how bad Belgian girls are at sports continued. We played basketball again today, and since Tedde was sick last Friday, she had yet to experience how bad they were. She was funny because she was tired (PE first class of the day is never fun...) and for some reason she was really letting how badly everyone played get to her. She gave like a step by step commentary of this one girl, who first off wears booty shorts and a tank top in an all girls' PE class (so that's already a bit annoying because all she wants is to look nice... Or not so nice, if you know what I mean.), secondly "runs" like, well, a true girl, and thirdly as we do lay-ups she stops right next to the hoop and using both hands chucks the ball at the hoop. Now, i know some people just aren't sporty and I am fine with that, but Tedde pointing out all of the things she was doing completely wrong was definitely funny. And no one can understand English, so at least they weren't getting mad at Tedde... But don't worry Mum, even though they can't understand me I still don't say bad things about people! :) And for the second half of the day, we ran as usual. And Tedde and I were leading the pack when all of a sudden during one of our breaks she just disappears... A coupe minutes later she walks out of the building, said "I just puked", and continued running. (She ate too much for breakfast...). And that, my friends, is why Americans are champs.

After PE, we both went to the couselor to talk to her about switching our classes around. Well, Tedde, who took 4 years of French in high school and is practically fluent, talked to her for me. And we both got switched out of our science classes. Yay! I think instead we will taking more French, but even if it ends up being an etude it will be ok because then it will be a random hour to have etude and none of my friends will be there to distract me. So that means that I instead dedicate that extra free time to learning French! Or, if it's around lunch time, I could meet up with the other exchangees (half of whom already speak French) and they always bring along their Belgian friends and talk to them in French, so I could learn that way! Because for me, I understand things way easier when it's an American speaking. Probably because they don't have the accent...

For lunch I had a regular double period, so I met up with my friends again and that's always fun. And then, after I got back, I realized that I also got out of school an hour early because the art teacher wasn't here again, and apparently there was no teacher to supervise us all three hours. Again, not that I am complaining, but these kids here are 17 years old. There are 3 art classrooms all connected together. Just leave the doors open, and it really shouldn't be a big deal! We have the projects we are supposed to be doing, just let us do our work! I mean, Belgian kids have so much freedom, but we can't draw for a bit in an empty classroom? Seems kinda silly to me...

And now I am done, it's late, I am tired, soooooo BONNE NUIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment