Monday, July 11, 2011

Tickets, Visas, and Gifts, OH MY !

As soon as I received my guarantee forms, I booked my flight and applied for my Visa. I booked my ticket through a travel agent and arrive in Belgium on August 8th, just in time to see my host sister before she goes on her exchange to Wyoming. The entire flights takes 15 hours, including a stop in Chicago. Not to mention the drive from the airport which takes about an hour and a half... Whew I am going to be tired that day!

Also, about a week ago, I received my passport and my Visa inside of it. When it came, I was sooo excited. All I could do once I got it was stare at it and the rest of my passport, realizing how close this whole thing is! Once I saw that Visa, I knew this whole experience really was real and that in 28 days time, I really will be living in a completely different country and where, despite my hours committed to French, I still struggle with the language...  This experience will definitely be life changing.

This weekend, my family and I went to Canada, where I was born, and went to visit some family friends. It was one of the best weekends of the summer, but was also very hard because it was one of the first goodbyes that I have had to say. The one of the many... My eyes started to tear up just thinking about saying goodbye to the rest of my friends and my family. But anyways, the main point that I wanted to mention was that while I was up there, I was able to purchase all sorts of Canadian nicknacks, souvenirs, and gifts to give to my friends. It was absolutely perfect! And even though it seemed like we got a lot, I know that the amount of wonderful people that I will meet during exchange will far exceed the amount of presents that I am able to stuff into one of the four suitcases/backpacks that I am able to carry on or check on for the plane. I also got to meet the mayor of my hometown, and he gave me some pins and a couple of hats! Hopefully I will be able to do the same sort of thing in my sponsor town...

No comments:

Post a Comment