Friday, November 4, 2011

Anniversaries... Belgian Style

Saturday, October 22nd, 2011

Well, I was going to go to Brussels on this day with Emmaline, try and meet up with others to go ice skating, and then break off from the group and do a bit of shopping and sight seeing. Because really, our last time there was kind of a fail and I have been in Belgium for almost 3 months so far, and yet still haven't seen the peeing boy statue. It is really quite disappointing... But at the last minute Emmaline had to cancel (don't ask me why, cause I still don't know...), and I wasn't in the mood to try and go to Brussels by myself and meet up with the others (as far as homesickness goes, this was definitely the worst week I have ever experienced... EVER).

So for the day, I just slept and relaxed and such. But then, that night, I got dressed up all nice and went to Liege with Pascale and Eddy for a nice dinner. But the funny thing was that they were taking me out for their anniversary dinner... Now, I don't know if it's common in Belgium for the whole family to go out with them to dinner to celebrate, or whether Eddy and Pascale were just being nice to their exchange student, and felt bad if they left me behind. But either way, it was a very nice experience. We went to a restuarant that specializes in Cous Cous. For those of you that haven't heard of it before, it's kinda like rice but in little tiny balls. Still white, but actually very heavy in your stomach. And it's served with a kind of sauce/stew thing made out of veggies and is served with meat of your choice. I had mine with these sausages. It is a traditional dish in Algeria and Morocco. Mine was REALLY good, and even though I felt like I hadn't even eaten that much, I was stuffed by the end of the meal. It was a nice night with my host parents, and by the end of the meal I was in a complete food coma.

Well, that's about it for this day. Even if I am feeling very "talkative" and in the mood for writing, there is only so much that you can say about a dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment